In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk with Dr. Courtney Tolinski about mental health and web development.Sanity - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the “How did you hear about us?” section.Show Notes
3:20 - Depression
- Honestly just explaining depression would be great. Too many times I’ve heard “but you don’t look sad”
- As someone who struggles with depression, what are some things I can do to rekindle and things I enjoy like developing and hobbies? This would greatly benefit me for learning more dev related things outside of doing it for work.
- My depression is due to some other cause in personal life - two years into it.
- Coding has bought me little life back as this is the only thing I have to do.
- What can we do from an outsider's view to someone who might have depression?
12:23 - Anxiety
- Imposter Syndrome x 1000
- How to deal with increased anxiety during these times?
- How to avoid anxiety and feel useless when working products that you don’t appeal to you?
- Wanted to ask the Dr about why do I feel that I have to work on 1000 projects that seem to never finish? 😣This is inducing a lot of anxiety sometimes.
- I am on depression medication. Sometimes, I feel scared that I am so slow and don’t feel accomplished enough like people working at FANG, etc, being a SE.
- How to deal with the anxiety caused by today’s events around the world and the need to isolate yourself from society even though we crave human interaction?
29:12 - Focus and job performance
- How to keep motivation and focus? I find myself enjoying work but having a hard time focusing on it. All the “distraction-free” apps don’t work because I can turn them off and I feel they literally have no power over me.
- Hardcore mode
- Pomodoro technique
35:10 - Motivation and remote work
- How do you deal with loss of focus and happiness in web development (especially on remote jobs)?
- Working for yourself at home, you don’t get a chance to bounce ideas and encouragement from others in an office. What’re some good ways to compensate for that to ensure you maintain a positive mindset?
- Work on new things
- Find ways to try new things
40:38 - Stress
- Correctly identifying source of (negative?) stress. Not lashing out when under stress.
- How to avoid eating to cope with stress?
- Eat That Frog! - Brian Tracy
- Pomodoro technique
- How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
- Courtney: Animal Crossing: New Horizons, How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk, The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind
- Scott: The Engineering Mindset YouTube Channel
- Wes: Toca Boca
- Scott: All Courses - Sign up for the year and save 50%!
- Wes: All Courses - Eveything is 50% off! Use the coupon code ‘Syntax’ for $10 off!