Accessibility is the process of creating applications that are usable by everyone, especially focusing on those with disabilities. As web developers, it’s important that we design and build our applications to be usable by everyone, so in today’s episode, we’re joined by Wendy Fox, the design systems lead at LogMeIn, to discuss nine common pitfalls of application accessibility and what you can do to fix them.
- 4:46 - Why should we care about accessibility?
- 8:43 - Types of accessibility
- 12:24 - Semantic HTML
- 16:37 - Virtually hiding content
- 17:57 - Aria label vs. labelledby
- 21:14 - The accessibility tree
- 23:50 - Focus states
- 27:29 - Color contrast
- 32:04 - Keyboard traps
- 35:02 - Animations
- 37:38 - Time based content
- 41:21 - Placeholders vs. labels
- 47:02 - Accessibility tools
Here is the transcript for this week's episode.