Episode 37: Founding the dev.to platform - Ben Halpern
We talk with Bel Halpern about how he built the dev.to platform, how they're hoping to monetize (or not), how to keep going on a long term project, and how an April Fool's day joke went awry.
Recording date: 2019-05-21
John Papa @John_Papa
Ward Bell @WardBell
Dan Wahlin @DanWahlin
Ben Halpern @BenHalpern
- Searching for Sleep on Dev.to
- Dev.to on GitHub
- John on Medium
- John Papa on dev.to
- "How I Write Articles" by John
- Peacock release article
- Peter Frank - co-founder - on dev.to
- Jess Lee - co-founder - on dev.to
- Top Tags
- Code Climate
- Code Climate score on dev.to
- Web Storage
- Ali Spittel
- Emma Wedekind
- RegEx Cheat Sheet
- Anna at dev.to
- Anna's post on joining the dev.to team
- dev.to vs Medium
- Comparing Medium to dev.to
- Why technical blogs belong on dev.to
- Serverless app design by John Papa
- dev.to API
Someone to follow
- 01:01 Learning about sleep
- 02:49 Guest introduction
- 03:50 What is Dev.to?
- 07:15 What's the business model for Dev.to?
- 10:45 How do you keep going with a project long term?
- 17:41 Sponsor: IdeaBlade
- 18:40 Badges on Github repos
- 24:42 What technologies are being used to build dev.to?
- 28:46 What's the userbase size?
- 30:14 What does a registered user get on Dev.to?
- 37:09 April Fool's joke gone awry
- 55:43 Someone to follow