This week we’re bringing JS Party to The Changelog — Nick Nisi and Christopher Hiller had an awesome conversation with Luis Villa, co-founder and General Counsel at Tidelift. They discuss GitHub Copilot and the implications of an AI pair programmer and fair use from a legal perspective.
Changelog++ members save 4 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Gitpod – Spin up fresh, ephemeral automated dev environments, in the cloud, in seconds. Their free tier is open to every developer with a GitLab, GitHub, and/or Bitbucket account. Learn more at gitpod.io
- Retool For Startups – More and more startups are using Retool to focus their time on their core product. That’s exactly why Retool launched “Retool For Startups” — it’s a program that gives early-stage founders free access to a lot of the software needed for great internal tooling. Retool has bundled together a year of free access to Retool with over $160,000 in partner discounts to save you money while building Retools apps with common integrations. Learn more, apply, join lightening demos and much more at retool.com/startups
- Sentry – Working code means happy customers. That’s exactly why teams choose Sentry. From error tracking to performance monitoring, Sentry helps teams see what actually matters, resolve problems quicker, and learn continuously about their applications - from the frontend to the backend. Use the code
THECHANGELOGand get the team plan free for three months.
- Grafana Cloud – Our dashboard of choice Grafana is the open and composable observability and data visualization platform. Visualize metrics, logs, and traces from multiple sources like Prometheus, Loki, Elasticsearch, InfluxDB, Postgres and many more.
- Luis Villa – Mastodon, Twitter, LinkedIn, Website
- Nick Nisi – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Christopher Hiller – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- GitHub Copilot
- Google v. Oracle
- GNU General Public License
- Fair use
- Lotus v. Borland
- Transformative Use
- Authors Guild v. Google
- Ethical Open Source Movement
- Eleuther AI
- W3C Web Machine Learning Working Group
- Does free software benefit from ML models being derived works of training data?
- Cassidy Plays with GitHub Copilot
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!