This week on The Changelog we’re taking you to the hallway track of the final Strange Loop conference. First up is AnnMarie Thomas — an engineering, business, and education professor. AnnMarie gave one of the opening keynotes titled “Playing with Engineering.” We also caught up with many first-time and multi-time attendees who shared their favorite moments from Strange Loop over the years. You’ll hear from Richard Feldman, Colin Dean, and Taylor Troesch. Last up we talk with Pokey Rule. He gave a talk about his project called Cursorless which is a spoken language for structural code editing.
Changelog++ subscribers get a super extended version of this episode which includes everything we recorded at Strange Loop. Become a Changelog++ subscriber
Changelog++ members get a bonus 34 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- Convex – Convex is a better type of backend — the full-stack TypeScript development platform that lets you replace your database, server functions, and glue code. Get started at convex.dev
- Neo4j – NODES 2023 is coming in October!
- Passbolt – It’s time for a new password manager. Read why
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- AnnMarie Thomas – Twitter, LinkedIn, Website
- Richard Feldman – Twitter, GitHub
- Taylor Troesh – GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Colin Dean – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Pokey Rule – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
Also, a huge thanks to Alex Miller (the organizer of Strange Loop) for being so kind to us and getting us there for the final Strange Loop. It was quite the experience.
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog
(01:34) - Sponsor: Convex
(03:54) - It's AnnMarie Thomas
(04:44) - Rolling with glitches
(07:12) - Expect surprises
(07:52) - We learn better when we play
(09:21) - Playing to learn
(11:02) - Simple Kinetic energy moment
(12:33) - How did you connect with OK Go?
(14:28) - The story of "Art Together Now"
(16:19) - Will there be a museum?
(18:52) - Supporting OK Go Sandbox
(19:34) - Invited to speak at Strange Loop
(20:12) - What's next?
(21:40) - It's all physics
(23:20) - Sponsor: Neo4j
(24:17) - It's Richard Feldman
(25:14) - Has it changed a lot?
(26:41) - What will you miss most?
(27:09) - From Elm to Roc
(29:55) - Question from Nikolia Vazquez
(31:35) - It's THAT Colin Dean
(32:46) - Bring the dogs
(33:33) - It's been a journey to here
(35:22) - Where's your top hat?
(36:16) - We have a similar story
(36:56) - We're a bit of an inspiration
(37:29) - A request for 'Request for Commits'
(38:57) - Thanks for listening all these years
(39:38) - It's Taylor Troesh
(39:44) - My first Strange Loop
(40:09) - Is this your Airbnb?
(40:51) - 2 AM
(42:04) - 5 AM
(42:14) - The next night
(42:55) - I'm uncomfortable
(43:36) - I escorted them out
(43:44) - The finale
(44:19) - Last year at Strange Loop
(44:44) - I'm gonna send you a Magician
(45:14) - It's a magic battle!
(45:42) - How do I get outta this?
(46:06) - I'm a very bad magician
(46:26) - The ring leaders
(46:52) - Clowns are the best worst
(47:26) - Sponsor: Passbolt
(51:36) - It's Pokey Rule
(52:50) - Let's talk Cursorless
(54:41) - Coding without your hands
(55:35) - Spike every func err past bat
(57:03) - International phonetic alphabet
(57:37) - Mapping pops
(58:15) - There's a large mental load
(59:33) - Is it forgiving?
(1:01:07) - Canceling a command
(1:02:05) - Is this your daily driver?
(1:02:28) - Signing is a superpower
(1:03:12) - Nope all the things
(1:04:06) - What's the UI?
(1:06:25) - Did you live demo?
(1:07:20) - Is this hard to learn?
(1:07:57) - How does a stall out work?
(1:10:17) - In the real world
(1:11:01) - Adam has an idea
(1:12:38) - It's OK for things to end
(1:13:47) - Thank you Strange Loop