Brett Cannon (our unofficial ambassador to the Python community) is here to help alleviate our pip install anxiety. Along the way, we ask him about Python 4, removing the GIL, what he thinks about Chris Lattner’s Mojo project, Rust in the Python world & way more (of course).
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Brett Cannon – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- In response to the Changelog #526
- Perl Mongers
- Ultimate Tic-Tac-Toe
- Why Mojo
- RustPython: A Python Interpreter written in Rust
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:38) - Tall, Snarky Canadian
(01:54) - Tall people club
(04:34) - On winning the weather
(05:40) - Listen to this & blog about it
(08:48) - In response to episode #526
(10:23) - Default Python things
(17:39) - Arch Linux happened
(20:28) - Timing the Python 3 transition
(21:18) - Thank God for Perl 6!
(22:48) - Perl 6 a.k.a. Raku
(23:42) - I'm no Perl Monger
(24:43) - Pythonistas thank you
(25:40) - Jerod likes Python!
(26:24) - pipx is the way
(30:43) - Will there be a Python 4?
(33:13) - Python's release cycle
(36:32) - Removing the GIL
(41:59) - Brett's time on the Steering Council
(43:33) - Good Python pods
(44:27) - A rolling council
(49:37) - Every pod must have an AI chapter
(54:06) - Really sorry for winning
(55:17) - Google uses it (good)
(56:35) - Google uses it (bad)
(57:28) - The ultimate Tic-Tac-Toe diversion
(1:02:05) - Textual takes us back to packaging
(1:07:19) - Brett's take on Mojo
(1:15:12) - Rust tooling for Python
(1:19:05) - The key word is "tool"
(1:22:32) - RustPython
(1:23:40) - Canadian BBQ & ice cream
(1:28:22) - Brett goes to Austin?
(1:29:46) - Bye friends!
(1:30:08) - Coming up next