Dave Gandy joined the show to talk about the history of Font Awesome, what’s to come in Font Awesome 5 and their Kickstarter to fund Font Awesome 5 Pro, and how everything they’re doing is funneling back into the forever free and open source — Font Awesome Free.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Code School – Learn to program by doing with hands-on courses. Save $10 per month! Sign up for Code School for only $19 per month by using our special URL codeschool.com/changelog.
- Linode – Our cloud server of choice! Get one of the fastest, most efficient SSD cloud servers for only $10/mo. We host everything we do on Linode servers. Use the code
changelog20to get 2 months free!
- Rollbar – Put errors in their place! Full-stack error tracking for all apps in any language.
Notes and Links
You can always add more sprinkles!
- Font Awesome
- Font Awesome on GitHub
- Font Awesome Issues on GitHub
- Support Font Awesome 5 on Kickstarter — make sure you watch that video too!
- Dave said the video he created for Font Awesome Black Tie should be an example of what not to do.
- Fort Awesome — Like Font Awesome. But Better. Build and manage icons and typefaces in a single place, then serve them with a single line of code.
- Rob Madole on Twitter
- Travis Chase on Twitter
- Brian Talbot on Twitter
- Videopixie — Find great videographers, directors, video editors, and animators to work with you on your project.
- Half Baked was the set for the Font Awesome video
- Knox Avenue did the production of the Font Awesome video
Below is the photo Dave mentioned when telling the story about the origins of the “Fort Awesome” name (listen at around 24:40).