This week we’re talking about serverless Postgres! We’re joined by Nikita Shamgunov, co-founder and CEO of Neon. With Neon, truly serverless PostgreSQL is finally here. Neon isn’t Postgres compatible…it actually is Postgres! Neon is also open source under the Apache License 2.0.
We talk about what a cloud native serverless Postgres looks like, why developers want Postgres and why of the top 5 databases only Postgres is growing (according to DB-Engines Ranking), we talk about how they separated storage and compute to offer autoscaling, branching, and bottomless storage, we also talk about their focus on DX — where they’re getting it right and where they need to improve. Neon is invite only as of the recording and release of this episode, but near the end of the show Nikita shares a few ways to get an invite and early access.
Changelog++ members get a bonus 6 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- Fly.io – Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- InfluxData - InfluxDays 2022 – InfluxDays is back — this is a two-day developer conference from our friends at InfluxData dedicated to building IoT, analytics, and cloud applications with InfluxDB. It’s happening on Nov 2nd and 3rd - learn more and register at influxdays.com
- Retool – The low-code platform for developers to build internal tools — Some of the best teams out there trust Retool…Brex, Coinbase, Plaid, Doordash, LegalGenius, Amazon, Allbirds, Peloton, and so many more – the developers at these teams trust Retool as the platform to build their internal tools. Try it free at retool.com/changelog
- Nikita Shamgunov – Twitter, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Neon doubles funding to $54M
- DB-Engines Ranking
- The Changelog #476: Supabase is all in on Postgres
- The Changelog #461: Fauna is rethinking the database
- Practical AI #94: Operationalizing ML/AI with MemSQL
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!