It’s the end of 2020 and on this year’s “State of the log” episode Adam and Jerod carry on the tradition of looking back at our favorite moments of the year – we talk through our most popular episodes, our personal favorites and must listen episodes, top posts from Changelog Posts, and what we have in the works for 2021 and beyond.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- New Relic – Observability made simple. New Relic One is an observability platform built to help engineers create more perfect software — Telemetry Data Platform, Full-Stack Observability, Applied Intelligence. Get one (1) user and 100GB per month, totally free. Forever.
- DigitalOcean – Get apps to market faster. Build, deploy, and scale apps quickly using a simple, fully managed solution. DigitalOcean handles the infrastructure, app runtimes and dependencies, so that you can push code to production in just a few clicks. Try it free with $100 credit at do.co/changelog.
- Equinix – Get $500 in free credit to play with plus a rad t-shirt at info.equinixmetal.com/changelog. Equinix Metal is built from the ground up to empower developers with low-latency, high performance infrastructure anywhere.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
Notes and Links
The Changelog’s most popular episodes of 2020:
- Good tech debt featuring Jon Thornton
- The ONE thing every dev should know with Jessica Kerr
- The 10x developer myth with William Nichols
- What’s so exciting about Postgres with Craig Kerstiens
- Meet Algo, your personal VPN in the cloud featuring Dan Guido
Jerod’s personal favorites of 2020:
- Laws for hackers to live by with Dave Kerr
- Engineer to manager and back again with Lauren Tan
- Must listen: The developer’s guide to content creation with Stephanie Morillo
Adam’s personal favorites of 2020:
- Designing and building HEY with Jonas Downey
- It’s OK to make money from your open source with Zeno Rocha
- Must listen: Securing the web with Josh Aas, Shipping work that matters with Ryan Singer, Leading GitHub to a $7.5 billion acquisition with Jason Warner
Top Changelog posts of 2020:
- Monoliths are the future (Kelsey Hightower)
- Slaying Changelog’s compilation beast (Owen Bickford)
- Git is simply too hard (Mislav Marohnic)
- There’s a good reason why experienced devs say “it depends” so often (Jerod Santo)
Other links mentioned:
- Backstage #10: YouTube made me do it with Owen Bickford
- The Changelog #362: Machine powered refactoring with AST’s featuring Amal Hussein
- The Changelog #420: The Kollected Kode Vicious with George Neville-Neil
- Founders Talk #60: Leading data-driven software teams and products
featuring Travis Kimmel
- Let’s set up a free, personal VPN in the cloud with Algo VPN
- 4 sources of endless content ideas 💡 by Stephanie Morillo