Julia Grace joined the show to talk bout about scaling all the things at Slack. Julia is currently the Senior Director of Infrastructure Engineering at Slack, and has been their since 2015 — so she’s seen Slack during its hyper-growth. We talked about Slack’s growth and scale challenges, scaling engineering teams, the responsibilities and challenges of being a manager, communicating up and communicating down, quality of service and reliability, and what it takes to build high performing leadership teams.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Airbrake – Airbrake is an exception reporting service, currently providing error monitoring for 50,000 applications with support for 18 programming languages.
- DigitalOcean – DigitalOcean is simplicity at scale. Whether your business is running one virtual machine or ten thousand, DigitalOcean gets out of your way so your team can build, deploy, and scale faster and more efficiently. New accounts get $100 in credit to use in your first 60 days.
- GoCD – GoCD is an on-premise open source continuous delivery server created by ThoughtWorks that lets you automate and streamline your build-test-release cycle for reliable, continuous delivery of your product.
- O'Reilly Velocity Conference – Future-proof your systems and yourself. Learn about performance, monitoring and observability, scalability, serverless, security, and leadership. Use the discount code
CHANGELOGto get 20% off Gold, Silver, and Bronze passes. Location and dates: San Jose, California, June 11-14. Learn more - oreil.ly/2J3gCBP
- Julia Grace – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- The Changelog #129: The PHP language specification with Sara Golemon
- Julia’s upcoming talk at Velocity - Scaling yourself during hyper-growth
- Use the discount code CHANGELOG to save 20% off Gold, Silver, and Bronze passes