Adam and Jerod talk with Hong Lai, one of the co-founders of Phusion. His company recently got a lot of attention for their upcoming version of Phusion Passenger, which they decided to call Ruby Raptor in a clever marketing play to get people excited about Passenger again. It worked, and we invited Hongli on the show to talk about Passenger/Ruby Raptor, the challenges of marketing open source, and how to get the internet excited about your next version.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Toptal – Join Toptal and work with awesome people from anywhere in the world. Freelance with companies like Airbnb, Artsy & IDEO.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
- Linode – Our cloud server of choice. Deploy a fast, efficient, native SSD cloud server for only $5/month. Get 4 months free using the code
changelog2018. Start your server - head to linode.com/changelog
- Rollbar – Our error monitoring partner. Rollbar provides real-time error monitoring, alerting, and analytics to help us resolve production errors in minutes. To start deploying with confidence - head to rollbar.com/changelog
- Hongli Lai – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Hongli Lai
- Follow Hongli on Twitter
- Follow Hongli on GitHub
- Phusion Passenger
- Ruby Raptor - A radically new Ruby web server
- Raptor Turbo Caching
- Phusion Products
- Introducing Phusion Passenger 5 beta 1, codename “Raptor” - Phusion Corporate BlogPhusion Corporate Blog
- The Changelog #34: Mongrel2, guitar, and more with Zed Shaw