Wynn caught up with Zed Shaw’s non-rockstar alter ego to talk about Mongrel2, high performance web sites, guitar, and software community ponzi schemes.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
Notes and Links
- Mongrel2 - an application, language, and network architecture agnostic web server that focuses on web applications using modern browser technologies.
- Original mongrel
- _why an anonymous and prolific writer, cartoonist, musician, artist, and computer programmer notable for his work with Ruby
- Unicorn - Eric Wong’s mostly pure-Ruby HTTP backend
- Thin A fast and very simple Ruby web server
- 0MQ Fastest. Messaging. Ever.
- Nginix is a HTTP and reverse proxy server, as well as a mail proxy server written by Igor Sysoev
- HAProxy The Reliable, High Performance TCP/HTTP Load Balancer
- Twisted an event-driven networking engine written in Python
- libevent Asynchronous event notification library
- EventMachine fast, simple event-processing library for Ruby programs
- Websockets - technology providing for bi-directional, full-duplex communications channel, featured in Episode 0.3.1
- SPDY - An experimental protocol for a faster web
- Fretwar The guitar competition and social time waster.
- LayerTennis from Coudal
- MP3 streaming demo in Mongrel2
- Librelist a free as in freedom mailing list site for open source projects.
- Dethklok, Pantera, Slayer, Metallica
- Wynn asks if Rails is still a ghetto
- Ajax.im an open-source, extensible, theme-able instant messaging framework.
- Qt Cross platform UI framework
- Awesome window manager is a highly configurable, next generation framework window manager for X
- Vimperator Vimperator is a Firefox browser extension with strong inspiration from the Vim text editor, with a mind towards faster and more efficient browsing.
- Screen screen manager with VT100/ANSI terminal emulation
- Reaper is a digital audio workstation: a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment.