Adam and Wynn caught up with Chris Forsythe, lead of the Growl project to talk about Growl, their App Store launch, and his work on Adium and Perian.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
Notes and Links
- We recently launched The Sass Way so you can get your fix of all things Sass and Compass
- Chris Forsythe is the project lead for Growl.
- Growl is a popular notification system for Mac OS X.
- Growl is now in the App Store and on GitHub
- Chris was formerly the project manager for the Adium.
- Your $1.99 will help send Chris to his first WWDC.
- GrowlMail is now a separate project.
- Over two hundred applications support Growl notifications.
- Designers have created many visual Growl styles to make Growl look great.
- Wynn’s favorite is Hud from @Rogie.
- Growl now supports GNTP, allowing Linux and Windows notifications apps to share a common protocol.
- Wynn uses Growl for visual feedback for his test suite.
- Chris also is a founder of the Perian project, a free, open source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats.
- Chris says that the GPL prevents Perian from taking the App Store path.
- The OSI is a non-profit corporation with global scope formed to educate about and advocate for the benefits of open source and to build bridges among different constituencies in the open source community.
- Chris relates the impact Steve Jobs had on his open source work.
- Evan Schoenberg inspires Chris.