Arfon Smith from GitHub, and Felipe Hoffa & Will Curran from Google joined the show to talk about BigQuery — the big picture behind Google Cloud’s push to host public datasets, the collaboration between the two companies to expand GitHub’s public dataset, adding query capabilities that have never been possible before, example queries, and more!
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Toptal – Take control of your career and join the best at Toptal. Email Adam at email@example.com for a personal introduction to our friends at Toptal.
- Linode – Our cloud server of choice! This is what we built our new CMS on. Use the code
changelog20to get 2 months free!
- Full Stack Fest 2016 – Early Bird tickets available until July 15. Use the code
THECHANGELOGafter July 15 to save 75 EUR (before taxes).
- Arfon Smith – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Felipe Hoffa – Twitter, GitHub
- Will Curran – Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
This show was produced in collaboration with GitHub and Google to announce the big expansion to GitHub’s public dataset on BigQuery.
- The Changelog #144: GitHub Archive and Changelog Nightly with Ilya Grigorik
- GitHub announcement
- Google Cloud Blog announcement
- Google Open Source Blog announcement
- Felipe Hoffa - GitHub on BigQuery: Analyze all the code
- GitHub public dataset — This 3TB+ dataset comprises the largest released source of GitHub activity to date. It contains a full snapshot of the content of more than 2.8 million open source GitHub repositories including more than 145 million unique commits, over 2 billion different file paths, and the contents of the latest revision for 163 million files, all of which are searchable with regular expressions.
- NOAA Global Surface Summary of the Day Weather Data
- USA Name Data
- Google BigQuery
- Gist: BigQuery Examples from Arfon Smith
- Shawn Pearce (Google) - the unsung hero at Google who did all the hard work getting the data pipeline working for this new dataset
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to talk with Will and BigQuery’s public dataset team