Darcy Clarke joined the show to talk about his repo on the HTML5 Boilerplate org on GitHub “Front-end Developer Interview Questions”. We discussed why the repo has been so successful, the challenges of translating a text document into multiple languages, managing contributions, the art of interviewing, how the expectations of front-end developers have evolved over time, and how to stay relevant in our fast moving industry.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Codeship – If it works with Docker, it works with Codeship Jet.
- Toptal – Join Toptal and work with awesome people from anywhere in the world. Freelance with companies like Airbnb, Artsy & IDEO.
- Code School – Learn to program by doing with hands-on courses. Sign up for Code School at only $19/month. That’s $10 off per month!
- Darcy Clarke – Twitter, GitHub
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
Darcy is the creator of the Front-end Developer Interview Questions project on the H5BP org on GitHub – it’s “a list of helpful front-end related questions you can use to interview potential candidates, test yourself or completely ignore.”
At the end of the episode, we turned the tables on Darcy and asked him a few questions from the list.
“The goal is to try to have the (interview) question be more open ended, and hopefully it starts a discussion between the interviewer and interviewee.” - Darcy Clarke @ 12:28
“This document is like a high school english assignment, with over 100 group members, and they all have differing opinions, and there’s a ton of different subjects… It’s the worst kind of open source project.” - Darcy Clarke @ 22:56
- darcyclarke (Darcy Clarke)
- Front-end Job Interview Questions | Darcy Clarke
- What I learned interviewing with Google | Wes Bos
- Join us on The Changelog (today?) · Issue #258 · h5bp/Front-end-Developer-Interview-Questions
- How io.js built a 146 person, 27 language localization effort… in one day. — Medium
- The Changelog #67: HTML5 Boilerplate, Modernizr, and more with Paul Irish
- Paul Irish
- Wes Bos