On Monday, Kelsey Hightower announced his retirement from Google. On Tuesday, he sat down with us to discuss why, how & what’s next.
Along the way, Kelsey teaches us how not to suck at work, analyzes his magical demos, fights off the haters (again) & opines on System Initiative, Dagger & 37Signals moving off the cloud.
Changelog++ members save 2 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Changelog News – A podcast+newsletter combo that’s brief, entertaining & always on-point. Subscribe today.
- Kelsey Hightower – Twitter, GitHub
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- “Today I’m announcing my retirement from Google.”
- Not Everyone Can Be Kelsey Hightower - Greg Poirier - YouTube
- Rebuilding DevOps from the ground up with Adam Jacob
- Why we’re leaving the cloud
- We have left the cloud
- MRSK — Deploy web apps anywhere
- Two decades as a solo indie Mac dev with Jesse Grosjean
- btop on GitHub
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:38) - Kelsey needs royalties
(01:39) - The shirt off Jerod's back
(02:38) - Kelsey's announcement
(04:02) - Buying your time back
(05:27) - Not a midlife crisis
(07:34) - Retirement takes prep
(09:19) - What the runway looks like
(10:53) - We're glad you're here
(11:24) - What's true retirement?
(12:40) - Vacation time?
(14:01) - r/TVTooHigh
(20:13) - Sponsor: Changelog News
(21:46) - How to not suck
(27:05) - Magical demos
(30:36) - Anti-happy path crowd
(33:04) - Just that good
(36:24) - Casting vision
(38:34) - Problems & solutions
(40:19) - The best macOS release
(41:04) - On System Initiative
(48:56) - The network effect
(50:02) - What happened to CoreOS?
(52:41) - On 37Signals' move
(1:01:33) - MRSK: what is this?
(1:04:09) - Lightweight versions FTW
(1:05:48) - Shave the cruft
(1:06:52) - Return to the 1.0
(1:09:55) - Thoughts on Dagger
(1:15:51) - What is Dagger really?
(1:17:05) - Goal is to be removed
(1:19:32) - The DevOps end game
(1:22:51) - Kelsey's unpop
(1:27:23) - Bye friends!
(1:27:55) - Coming up next