Lauren Tan joined us to talk about her blog post titled “Does it spark joy?” In this post Lauren shared the news of her resignation as an engineering manager at Netflix to return to being a software engineer. We examine the career trajectory of a software engineer and the seemingly inevitable draw to management for continued career growth. The idea of understanding “What are you optimizing for?” and whether or not what you’re doing truly brings you joy.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- DigitalOcean – DigitalOcean’s developer cloud makes it simple to launch in the cloud and scale up as you grow. They have an intuitive control panel, predictable pricing, team accounts, worldwide availability with a 99.99% uptime SLA, and 24/7/365 world-class support to back that up. Get your $100 credit at do.co/changelog.
- Retool – Retool makes it super simple to build back-office apps in hours, not days. The tool is is built by engineers, explicitly for engineers. Learn more and try it for free at retool.com/changelog
- Square – The Square developer team just launched their new developer YouTube channel. Head to youtube.com/squaredev or search for “Square Developer” on YouTube to learn more and subscribe.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
- Lauren Tan – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Does It Spark Joy?
- Go Fast and Break Things: The Difference Between Reversible and Irreversible Decisions
- WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH MY LIFE???
- The Engineer/Manager Pendulum
- The Regret Minimization Framework: How Jeff Bezos Made Decisions
- How to quit your job spectacularly well
- Stay Uncomfortable. Stay Hungry.
- The one question that will change your life
- Steve Jobs on connecting the dots