Red Hat’s decision to lock down RHEL sources behind a subscription paywall was met with much ire and opened opportunity for Oracle to get a smack in and SUSE to announce a fork with $10 million behind it.
Few RHEL community members have been as publicly irate as Jeff Geerling, so we invited him on the show to discuss.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Jeff Geerling – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jeff: Dear Red Hat: Are you dumb?
- Jeff: Removing official support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Jeff: I’m done with Red Hat (Enterprise Linux)
- The rise of Rocky Linux with Greg Kurtzer
- Oracle coverage on Changelog News
- Debian is cool
- TechCrunch: Why SUSE is forking Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Adam Jacob’s tweet
- Red Hat’s June 21st blog post
- Red Hat’s June 26th blog post
- Oracle’s epic press release
- Mike McGrath’s post clarifying use of the term ‘freeloaders’
- Mike McGrath posting about ‘bad-faith action’
- An analysis of the GPL issues with RHEL Business Model
- SUSE’s fork press release
- Rocky Linux’s response
- The problem with Rocky Linux and free beer | LinkedIn
- AlmaLinux’s response
- Huge Open Source Drama - YouTube
- LTX 2023
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:37) - An inflammatory enigma
(01:09) - Dear Red Hat: Are you dumb?
(07:35) - Red Hat's reasons
(08:49) - CentOS 8 / CentOS Stream
(10:01) - The rebuilders are here
(13:14) - Zero value leaches?
(15:43) - A matter of scale
(16:47) - Not the same Red Hat
(17:48) - Red Hat was the open company
(22:43) - Where the mess started
(24:05) - The big winner is Oracle?
(27:02) - Oracle: the open company?
(31:33) - Young Jerod finds Red Hat
(33:30) - Come back to the light side!
(35:57) - Walk it back?
(37:25) - Give us production ready
(40:33) - Open source pirates
(42:40) - Jeff's users
(45:39) - the freer the freer
(47:51) - The spirit of open source
(49:56) - We are hackers!
(51:04) - "We have to pay our people"
(52:37) - The future of open enterprise Linux
(54:30) - Jeff the tinkerer
(57:14) - Chokepoint capitalism
(59:22) - Rocky & Alma's options
(1:02:24) - Fight the EULA
(1:04:22) - Jeff's upcoming video
(1:07:48) - Future homelab episode?
(1:09:04) - No Unify?
(1:10:51) - Love hosting data
(1:11:33) - Jeff's unpop
(1:13:08) - The takeaway
(1:13:21) - Bye friends!
(1:14:01) - Coming up next