This week on The Changelog Adam is joined by Zach Lloyd, Founder & CEO of Warp. We talked with Zach last year about what it takes to build the terminal of the future, and today Adam catches up with Zach to see where they are at on that mission. They talk about the business model of Warp, how they measure success, reaching product/market fit, building features developers love, integrating AI, and the pros and cons of going open source (again).
Changelog++ members save 7 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Convex – Convex is a better type of backend — the full-stack TypeScript development platform that lets you replace your database, server functions, and glue code. Get started at convex.dev
- Square – Develop on the platform that sellers trust. There is a massive opportunity for developers to support Square sellers by building apps for today’s business needs. Learn more at developer.squareup.com to dive into the docs, APIs, SDKs and to create your Square Developer account — tell them Changelog sent you.
- Changelog News – A podcast+newsletter combo that’s brief, entertaining & always on-point. Subscribe today.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Changelog Interviews #487: Warp wants to be the terminal of the future
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog
(00:57) - Sponsor: Convex
(04:13) - Start the show!
(06:20) - Can you share some numbers?
(07:20) - The last time we spoke
(08:57) - Measuring Product/Market fit
(11:03) - What feedback are you getting?
(13:53) - Who are you building this for?
(16:53) - The thesis is...?
(18:31) - Warp is like Raycast
(27:23) - Giving the power to all
(31:28) - Sponsor: Square
(33:58) - Is your mission to replace Terminal.app?
(35:45) - Warp in VS Code?
(37:09) - What terminal apps are used on Mac?
(39:32) - We still need a standalone terminal app
(41:42) - Who is your competition?
(47:25) - Should Terminal.app die?
(49:50) - What's the business model?
(53:16) - Do a Pro plan like Raycast
(57:03) - What's the state of "Teams"
(59:14) - What is Warp Drive?
(1:05:25) - Sponsor: Changelog News
(1:06:42) - Adam shares a feature request
(1:09:29) - Respect my Oh my ZSH
(1:15:04) - Give them good UI
(1:18:58) - What did it take to get to now?
(1:28:29) - Is $50 million dollars alot?
(1:29:39) - Adding AI features
(1:35:22) - What's next?
(1:38:15) - Will Warp ever be open source?
(1:47:18) - Wrapping up
(1:47:36) - Get in touch!