Sandi Metz joined the show to talk about her beginnings on a mainframe, her 30+ years of programming experience, the ins and outs of OOP, her book Practical Object-Oriented Design in Ruby (aka POODR), as well as her latest book 99 Bottles of OOP which she co-authored with Katrina Owen. We also covered a few listener submitted questions at the end.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Heap – Automate the annoying parts of user analytics. No more manual anything. Just insights.
- Rollbar – Put errors in their place! Full-stack error tracking for all apps in any language.
- Code School – Learn to program by doing with hands-on courses. Save $10 per month! Sign up for Code School for only $19 per month by using our special URL
- Sandi Metz – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Sandi’s first book — Practical Object-Oriented Design in Ruby (aka POODR)
- 99 Bottles of OOP by Sandi Metz
- Katrina Owen co-authored 99 Bottles with Sandi
- Check out Understanding Computation — From Simple Machines to Impossible Programs by Tom Stuart — use the code
PCBWto save 40% on a print book, or 50% on an ebook from O’Reilly
- Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software from the GangOfFour — Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, and John Vlissides