In this supper club episode of Syntax, Wes and Scott talk with Ryan Dhal about Deno. Why was Deno created? What is Deno written in? How is Deno so much faster? And what’s the future of Deno?Gatsby - Sponsor
Today’s episode was sponsored by Gatsby, the fastest frontend for the headless web. Gatsby is the framework of choice for content-rich sites backed by a headless CMS as its GraphQL data layer makes it straightforward to source website content from anywhere. Gatsby’s opinionated, React-based framework makes the hardest parts of building a performant website simpler. Visit Gatsby.dev/Syntax to get your first Gatsby site up in minutes and experience the speed. ⚡️Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what’s happening with your code, track errors and monitor performance with Sentry. Sentry’s Application Monitoring platform helps developers see performance issues, fix errors faster, and optimize their code health. Cut your time on error resolution from hours to minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners new to Sentry can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code TASTYTREAT during sign up.Sanity - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.Show Notes
- 00:36 Welcome
- Ry on GitHub
- Deno Discord
- 01:18 The introduction of Node
- 05:34 Why did you make Deno?
- 09:04 How does TypeScript fit into the landscape?
- 11:40 How is Deno so much faster?
- 13:28 Sponsor: Sanity
- 14:17 What is Deno written in?
- 15:56 Should developers be learning Rust?
- 18:27 Will libraries that work on npm eventually work in Deno?
- 21:52 Are we going to use Node API’s or web spec?
- 24:31 Sponsor: Sentry
- 25:31 What is tooling like for Deno?
- Deno VS Code Extension
- 29:27 What is Deno deploy?
- Deno Deploy
- 34:01 Deno’s framework Fresh
- 38:56 Client side vs server side rendering
- 41:27 Sponsor: Gatsby
- 42:28 What’s the future of Deno?
- 43:39 Supper club questions
- 53:30 SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××