In this supper club episode of Syntax, Wes and Scott talk with the author of Svelte, Rich Harris, about what influenced the creation of Svelte, his thoughts on web components, the virtual DOM, why companies are switching to Svelte, and what’s next for Svelte.Gatsby - Sponsor
Today’s episode was sponsored by Gatsby, the fastest frontend for the headless web. Gatsby is the framework of choice for content-rich sites backed by a headless CMS as its GraphQL data layer makes it straightforward to source website content from anywhere. Gatsby’s opinionated, React-based framework makes the hardest parts of building a performant website simpler. Visit gatsby.dev/syntax to get your first Gatsby site up in minutes and experience the speed. ⚡️Lightstep Incident Response - Sponsor
Streamline on-call, collaboration, incident management, and automation with a free 30-day trial of Lightstep Incident Response, built on ServiceNow. Usage-based pricing on active services promotes collaboration across your entire team to build a culture of service ownership. Listeners of Syntax will also receive a free Lightstep Incident Response T-shirt after firing an alert or incident.
Pay for the services you use, not the number of people on your team with Lightstep Incident Response, built on ServiceNow. Streamline on-call, collaboration, incident management, and automation with a free 30-day trial. Fire an alert or incident today and receive a free Lightstep Incident Response t-shirt.Show Notes
- 00:33 Welcome
- 02:10 Who is Rich Harris?
- Rich Harris on Twitter
- 02:55 What is Svelte?
- Svelte Kit
- 06:52 What influenced the template language for Svelte?
- 10:03 What do you use the const tag for?
- 10:49 Sponsor: Gatsby
- 12:04 What about immutability issues?
- 17:49 What about web components?
- 21:51 Why does Svelte not need the virtual DOM?
- 27:34 Sponsor: Lightstep Incident Response
- 28:45 What is your favorite part of working in Svelte?
- 32:31 Why are companies switching to Svelte?
- 34:35 What is the SvelteKit timeline?
- 38:52 What’s the next version of Svelte include?
- Web Interoperability
- 45:39 Supperclub Questions
- 52:40 SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Rich: Mullvad VPN