In this supper club episode of Syntax, Wes and Scott talk with Hursh Agrawal of The Browser Company about Scott’s favorite browser, Arc. How do you make a browser in 2022? Will there be a Windows version? And who is the target market for Arc?FireHydrant - Sponsor
Incidents are hard. Managing them shouldn’t be. FireHydrant makes it easy for anyone in your organization to respond to incidents efficiently and consistently. Intuitive, guided workflows provide turn-by-turn navigation for incident response, while thoughtful prompts and powerful integrations capture all of your incident data to drive useful retros and actionable analytics.Gatsby - Sponsor
Today’s episode was sponsored by Gatsby, the fastest frontend for the headless web. Gatsby is the framework of choice for content-rich sites backed by a headless CMS as its GraphQL data layer makes it straightforward to source website content from anywhere. Gatsby’s opinionated, React-based framework makes the hardest parts of building a performant website simpler. Visit Gatsby.dev/Syntax to get your first Gatsby site up in minutes and experience the speed. ⚡️Auth0 - Sponsor
Auth0 is the easiest way for developers to add authentication and secure their applications. They provides features like user management, multi-factor authentication, and you can even enable users to login with device biometrics with something like their fingerprint. Not to mention, Auth0 has SDKs for your favorite frameworks like React, Next.js, and Node/Express. Make sure to sign up for a free account and give Auth0 a try with the link below. https://a0.to/syntaxShow Notes
- 00:34 Welcome
- 02:53 What is Arc and why create another browser?
- Arc browser
- The browser company
- 05:36 What is different about Arc?
- 08:20 Who is the target market for Arc?
- 09:30 Sponsor: Auth0
- 10:39 How do you make a browser?
- 13:38 Will there be a Windows version of Arc?
- 15:57 Where did the CMD-T functionality come from?
- 19:27 Sponsor: FireHydrant
- 20:39 How do you build on top of the Chrome engine?
- 24:17 How does The Browser Company make money?
- 27:26 Do you mess with the user agent?
- 29:05 Why do you require account set up to use Arc?
- 32:58 Sponsor: Gatsby
- 33:59 How did you come up with your theming engine?
- 36:15 Supper Club Questions
- Hacker News
- Ben Thompson Bundling and Unbundling
- 42:59 SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××