In this potluck episode of Syntax, Wes and Scott answer your questions about handling auth, are web dev real developers, handling Git conflicts, converting PNG to Box-Shadow, bad docs vs no docs, making Shopify headless, and more.Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what’s happening with your code, track errors and monitor performance with Sentry. Sentry’s Application Monitoring platform helps developers see performance issues, fix errors faster, and optimize their code health. Cut your time on error resolution from hours to minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners new to Sentry can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code TASTYTREAT during sign up.Sanity - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.Freshbooks - Sponsor
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntaxShow Notes
- 00:10 Welcome
- 01:32 Fool’s winter
- 03:25 How do you handle authentication in an app?
- 09:42 Responding to people who don’t think developers are real developers?
- 12:21 How do you handle git conflicts in package-lock.json and/or yarn.lock files?
- 14:42 I built a small project which converts .png images to CSS box-shadow values.
- Img to Box Shadow
- 16:37 January 19th, 2038 at 03:14:08 is the end of epoch
- Office Space
- 20:31 Sponsor: Sentry
- 22:44 Should I begin to add PropTypes to my packages and projects?
- 25:59 What’s worse: bad documentation or no documentation?
- 27:37 How do you find the motivation or discipline to follow through in side projects?
- 29:48 I need to take an existing Shopify site and make it headless - what should I use?
- 37:55 Sponsor: Sanity
- 39:18 You have a ?token= query param and some token value for it. Could you explain a bit more on what is that for?
- 44:05 Have you thought about selling Syntax.fm shirts?
- 46:05 Can I migrate my Express routes to Next.js’ API and get the same httpOnly cookies workflow?
- 52:03 Sponsor: Freshbooks
- 52:52 Sick Picks