This week Scott and Wes are live at JAMstack_conf with games, Spicy JAM Tips, Q&As and more.Netlify — Sponsor
Netlify is the best way to deploy and host a front-end website. All the features developers need right out of the box: Global CDN, Continuous Deployment, one click HTTPS and more. Hit up netlify.com/syntaxfor more info.Show Notes
7:14 - Spicy JAM Tips
- Set default headers in your request library - this way it comes along for the ride on every request
- Don’t get hung up on “static” - static sites can be as dynamic as needed
- Don’t wait to use new tech - progressively enhance and gracefully degrade where needed
- There are many JAMStack libraries in the sea - there are many different approaches so don’t be afraid to experiment
- Side projects are key to learning - test out new tech on smaller projects first and get comfortable with it
10:10 - This, That or Both?
- Jumpsuit - A rap/rock group from Flint Michigan or a minimal React/Redux Framework?
- Aphrodite - React Styling Library or Best Selling Erotic novel?
- Yugo - A minimal static site generator built in O-CAML or a super mini hatchback built in the former Yugoslavia?
- C-Control - A modern state management library for web components or studio headphone mixer?
- Yakbak - A recordable HTTP testing interface or a popular 90’s electronic toy?
- Aqueduct - A server-rendered ORM and oAuth 2.0 based framework built in Dart or a early 2000’s pop group hailing from Venice Beach?
- Gort - A 1980’s animated series cartoon villain or a CLI Toolkit for RobotOps written in Go?
- Raptorize - A jQuery plugin that plays a Velociraptor screech or A popular DIY spray on truck bed liner?
21:13 - Stumped!
Question 1: What does “age” console.log to and why?
let age = 26; age /= 2; console.log(age); // ??
Question 2: What are all seven types in JS?
Question 3: How do you pronounce “specificity”?
Question 4: What is event delegation and when might you want to use it?
Question 5: What is CSS @supports for?
Question 6: An arrow function takes in an unlimited number of arguments - how would you capture them?
Question 7: What is the difference between .slice() and .splice()?
Question 8: How would you calculate the number of milliseconds since midnight of January 1, 1970?
Question 9: What does “age” console.log to and why?
const age = console.log(100) || 200; console.log(age);
31:26 - Overrated or Underrated?
- Arrow Functions
- Downtown scooters
- Using Sass inside Styled Components
- Website that play sound in the interface
- The amount of JS frameworks
- Soft close toilet seats
- ES6 Destructuring
- Implicit Return
- CSS Houdini
- Service Workers and Offline Applications
- Modern Design Tools - Figma, FramerX, Moudlez, Sketch, Studio
- Optional Chaining Proposal
42:35 - Q+A with Scott and Wes
- Since this is your first time meeting, what was the thing that surprised you the most?
- If you could create any Tycoon game, what would you create?
- In 2018, how concerned should we be about no-JS users?
- How many spaces should a tab be?
- How important is integration testing and the decentralized ecosystem?
- What are your thoughts on the new React Hooks API?
- Are we going to have a serverless function architecture apocalypse?
- Are you ever going to create an online course together?
- How will the future look for component-based design?
- What’s your least favorite jam?
- What would be your goto headless CMS?
- What do you disagree on?