Scott and Wes talk about how to deal with being overwhelmed with our fast paced industry. How do you keep you and your team's skills up to date?
Wes' Note: Scott came up with the title for this one. I know.Netlify — Sponsor
Netlify is the best way to deploy and host a front-end website. All the features developers need right out of the box: Global CDN, Continuous Deployment, one click HTTPS and more. Hit up netlify.com/syntax for more info.
They are also hiring! netlify.com/careersFreshbooks - Sponsor
If you are a small business or freelancer check out Freshbooks.com Cloud Accountingand get 30 days free. Make sure to enter SYNTAX into the "How did you hear about us" section.Show Notes
- Scott is 32! Happy Birthday
- Wes Relaunched his React for Beginners course!
- That feeling
- Being okay with not knowing everything
- How to wait it out
- When you should jump into a library
- 1.0 of libraries
- Just In Time learning
- Doubling down on the fundamentals
- What is JAM Stack?
- Why do you need to stay up to date?
- Moving or Losing Jobs
- Comfy Chairs
- Hipster Web Developers
- Someone think of the customers!
- Technical Debt
- Falling in love with web development again
- Constantly challenging yourself
- Complacency in Web Devleopment
- Motivating Comfortable Web Developers
- You have to stay up to date
- Working on the weekends
- Real Talk: part of your job is staying up to date
- How to find time to learn on the clock
- Adding new tech to projects as a way to learn
- What if your senior developer is holding back progress?
- How to convince your team or boss that you aren't just a hipster and this new tech is worth it
- Show them the why!
- Okay, I want to stay up to date. How?
- Strong handle on fundamentals
- WebDev Reddit
- NodeJS is Cancer
- Kitze's LOL Tweet
- Lunch and Learns