Scott and Wes talk about how they learn new things quickly. Scott also tells a crazy story about his weekend.Netlify — Sponsor
Netlify is the best way to deploy and host a front-end website. All the features developers need right out of the box: Global CDN, Continuous Deployment, one click HTTPS and more. Hit up netlify.com/syntax for more info.
They are also hiring! netlify.com/careersFluent Conf - Sponsor
Developers, software engineers, designers, and web performance professionals flock to Fluent in pursuit of a common goal: building a better web. That means delivering fast, secure, accessible experiences to users and customers.
Fluent covers a broad range of technologies and topics to provide web programming professionals with the skills, connections, and inspiration needed to build better online and mobile experiences.
Fluent is this June 11-14 in San Jose, CA. Save 20% today with code: SYNTAXShow Notes
- Scott recounts his crazy story about getting Lymphangitis
- Know your learning type
- videos, blogs, docs, source
- no right or wrong way
- Foundational Skills
- Narrow your focus
- Should you learn Redux with React?
- blurring skills hurts future progress
- don't learn too many things at once
- Get excited
- try to reclaim your initial excitement
- flow happens when you are excited
- pick projects around hobbies
- Star wars sucks
- Grind Time
- write code first ask questions later
- break shit
- Submit to yourself that you are going to build this 3-4 times
- iteration driven development
- quality from quantity
- use smarter people
- snippet libs
- style guides
- follow every kind of media you can
- put things on in the background
- permeate into your brain
- Scott comes out of nowhere with a story about TEA!