In this episode, Scott and Wes chat about 20 different ways you can improve the perf, speed and overall user experience of your websites.Cloudinary - Sponsor
Cloudinary is the best way to host, compress and transform your images on the web. Sign up for their free tier and get 10GB of bandwidth for free!
Also check out Cloudinary's ImageCon conference - use the code SYNTAX99 for a discount when checking out.Fluent Conf - Sponsor
Developers, software engineers, designers, and web performance professionals flock to Fluent in pursuit of a common goal: building a better web. That means delivering fast, secure, accessible experiences to users and customers.
Fluent covers a broad range of technologies and topics to provide web programming professionals with the skills, connections, and inspiration needed to build better online and mobile experiences.
Fluent is this June 11-14 in San Jose, CA. Save 20% today with code: SYNTAXShow Notes
So many perf tips came in over twitter, so in addition to this podcast I'd recommend you read all the replies to this tweet
- We just cracked 1,000,000 downloads! Thank you!
- Network Tips
- Reducing the amount of HTTP requests
- A little bit about HTTP2
- An interview about http2
- Use Caching and LocalStorage
- Turn on aggressive caching on your server - long expire times
- What is gzip? / Enabling gzip
- Using a CDN
- Listen to our episode on CDNs and #BigZips
- When to load your JS
- Blocking Requests
- Use Lazy Loading
- Preloading content with Link rel="preload"
- Picture, picturefill and srcset=""
- Article on srcsrc and Picture
- srcset vs picture/source elements
- Image Compression
- One less jpg
- Serve less data
- Inline SVG
- Talk about Font Awesome
- CSS and JS Code
- Critical CSS
- Remove unused code
- Purify CSS
- no-unused-imports with ESlint
- Code Splitting
- Transpile less
- Tree shaking
- Hoyyyy its a tree shaker
- Async ans defer attributes on your script tags
- Amazing site that visualizes async and defer
- Icon Fonts
- Web Fonts
- Native Font Stack:
- Good: font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;
- Scott is working on a Vue course!
- Wes is working on his Advanced React course!