Go Time panelist (and semi-professional unpopular opinion maker) Kris Brandow joins us to discuss his deep-dive on the waterfall paper, his dislike of the “tech debt” analogy, why documentation matters so much & how everything is a distributed system.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Kris Brandow – Twitter, GitHub
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk
(00:38) - Moar Go time friends!
(00:58) - Our GopherCon roots
(02:17) - 2nd-gen software engineer
(07:32) - You don't learn through DNA
(10:10) - Always willing to read
(12:53) - Misconceptions of waterfalls
(17:09) - No appetite for rigor
(22:12) - Jerod justifies his nothing
(23:49) - Kris resigns from Go Time?!
(25:52) - Success hides problems
(28:12) - Startups are too slow
(30:02) - The tech debt analogy
(33:42) - Hard to quantify
(40:26) - Documentation matters
(42:24) - Tech malpractice
(51:24) - Auto-Librarian
(54:53) - Librarian tenure
(56:50) - Learning the skillset
(58:58) - The 'why' doc
(1:01:44) - The 'why not' doc
(1:05:05) - Too busy documenting
(1:08:38) - The value of worthless words
(1:11:46) - Change in the last 40 years
(1:16:45) - Announcing KrisOS?
(1:21:22) - What are distributed systems
(1:22:53) - How computers work
(1:26:59) - This is Kris's journey
(1:29:53) - A true full-stack engineer
(1:32:37) - The PCI-e rabbit hole
(1:34:43) - Malpractice is fightin' words
(1:35:25) - The spectrum
(1:35:46) - The malpractice umbrella
(1:37:39) - No time to make a shorter one
(1:38:16) - Coming up next