A hoy hoy! Our old friend Nick Nisi does his best to bring up TypeScript, Vim & Tmux as many times as possible while we discuss a new batch of web browsers, justify why we like the ones we do & try to figure out what it’d take to disrupt the status quo of Big Browser.
Changelog++ members get a bonus 8 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- Statsig – Build faster with confidence. Startups to Fortune 500s rely on Statsig to make data-driven decisions. Ship smarter and faster with the unified platform for feature flags, experimentation, and analytics. Our listeners get free white-glove onboarding, migration support, and 5 million free events per month.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Nick Nisi – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Digging through Nick Nisi’s tool box (JS Party #278)
- Google gets its way, bakes a user-tracking ad platform directly into Chrome | Ars Technica
- Arc from The Browser Company
- Sizzy — The browser for web developers
- Polypane, The browser for ambitious web developers
- Orion Browser
- Vivaldi Browser | Powerful, Personal and Private web browser
- The Ladybird browser project
- Horse Browser
- Web Browser Quiche on the App Store
- Nyxt browser: The hacker’s browser
- Opera browser goes free with version 5.0 launch • The Register
- Nick’s vim + tmux video
- Vim with Me playlist
- Our viral short on Instagram Reels
- Gabe Kangas on Mastodon
- Rich Harris on JS Party
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:38) - 2x Clark Kent glasses
(01:12) - Back to the Future II
(02:28) - "Gimme a Pepsi Free"
(03:26) - Crispin Glover follow-up
(04:17) - Start here if you just want browser talk
(04:21) - Hold on a second...
(05:02) - He's back!
(06:22) - Browser 101
(06:45) - Becoming crotchety
(07:51) - Safari is not the best browser
(08:32) - Chrome v Firefox
(09:55) - horse_js is dead
(10:18) - The TypeScript "Exodus"
(12:19) - New breed of browsers
(13:39) - All praise Safari
(17:46) - Safari's market share
(19:16) - Browser profiles
(21:47) - Firefox converters
(22:45) - Too many extentions
(23:49) - It's not what Apple wants
(25:41) - Safari incompatabilities
(28:02) - No Chrome since '16
(28:19) - Ad trackers in browsers
(30:12) - Your data & 3rd parties
(31:00) - Tight cloud integration
(33:21) - Ads on Smart TVs
(34:36) - NVIDIA SHIELD
(35:33) - DVD upscaling
(37:11) - Sponsor: Statsig
(40:55) - A FREE TV?!
(41:52) - Browser business models
(43:03) - Paywalls
(45:28) - Polypane & Sizzy
(49:16) - Confessions of Nick Nisi
(51:26) - Opera history trivia!
(53:38) - A browser for dev is a good idea
(53:58) - We own the ++?
(55:42) - Mark HackerNoon as spam
(57:30) - How Zed does it
(58:16) - Warp vs vim & tmux
(58:57) - Nick's vim + tmux vid
(1:03:29) - Viral short
(1:05:33) - More "Vim with me"!
(1:07:01) - What do we want?
(1:09:07) - Arc tabs
(1:10:57) - Orion
(1:11:19) - Vivaldi
(1:11:56) - Ladybird
(1:13:22) - Gabe Kangas on Mastodon
(1:15:54) - It takes talent
(1:16:43) - How long will browsers be relevant?
(1:18:33) - Why do we care?
(1:20:34) - Nyxt & Quiche
(1:22:04) - Power features
(1:23:43) - Should we just take it?
(1:24:07) - Momentum is a fickle thing
(1:25:00) - We don't know
(1:26:21) - The Arc club
(1:27:47) - Why Adam likes newer Macs
(1:29:31) - What is your tab layout?
(1:33:00) - Worryied about crotchety Adam
(1:33:44) - No forks of TypeScript
(1:34:02) - Speaking of the perfect tweet
(1:34:50) - Kids read everything
(1:35:26) - A Linux-like take on browser
(1:37:01) - Apple Keynote
(1:39:46) - When to upgrade your iPhone
(1:40:18) - No more lightning
(1:40:45) - Sideloading required?
(1:41:34) - Where to find Nick
(1:43:35) - Coming up next (Changelog++!)