This week we talk with Manish Jain about Dgraph, graph databases, and licensing and re-licensing woes. Manish is the creator and founder Dgraph and we talked through all the details. We covered what a graph database is, the uses of a graph database, and how and when to choose a graph database over a relational database. We also talked through the hard subject of licensing/re-licensing. In this case, Dgraph has had to change their license a few times to maintain their focus on adoption while respecting the core ideas around what open source really means to developers.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Rollbar – We catch our errors before our users do because of Rollbar. Resolve errors in minutes, and deploy your code with confidence. Learn more at rollbar.com/changelog.
- DigitalOcean – DigitalOcean is simplicity at scale. Whether your business is running one virtual machine or ten thousand, DigitalOcean gets out of your way so your team can build, deploy, and scale faster and more efficiently. New accounts get $100 in credit to use in your first 60 days.
- Algolia – Our search partner. Algolia’s full suite search APIs enable teams to develop unique search and discovery experiences across all platforms and devices. We’re using Algolia to power our site search here at Changelog.com. Get started for free and learn more at algolia.com.
- GoCD – GoCD is an on-premise open source continuous delivery server created by ThoughtWorks that lets you automate and streamline your build-test-release cycle for reliable, continuous delivery of your product.
- Manish R Jain – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Open Source Licensing & Relicensing · Issue #833 · thechangelog/ping
- Dgraph — A Distributed, Fast Graph Database
- Stack Exchange Data Dump : Stack Exchange, Inc.
- Google Inc. Acquires Metaweb Technologies Inc. | Inc.com
- Official Google Blog: Deeper understanding with Metaweb
- Switching Dgraph to a Liberal License - Dgraph Blog
- The History of the LICENSE.md file of Dgraph
- Commons Clause License
- The Open Source Definition | Open Source Initiative
- It’s not okay to pretend your software is open source | Drew DeVault’s Blog
- flickrfs - Virtual Filesystem for Flickr