On September 29th, Netflix shipped its final DVDs, marking the end of an era in physical media. So, we invited our friend Christina Warren (aka film_girl) from GitHub to pour out a drink with us and lament the end of this golden age of access to the films we all love.
Changelog++ members save 6 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Neo4j – NODES 2023 is coming in October!
- Sentry – Get $100 towards your error monitoring with Sentry! Use the code
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Christina Warren – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Netflix Mails Its Final DVD to Customers, Marking the End of an Era - IGN
- Netflix Prepares to Send Its Final Red Envelope - The New York Times
- Netflix’s Qwikster Debacle | MIT Technology Review
- The Ultimate Movie Platform - Kaleidescape
- Matt Damon on Hot Ones
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:38) - Netflix & Friends
(03:01) - Double bonus!
(05:30) - No more commentaries
(06:55) - All about the extras
(11:02) - BTS (Polar Express)
(14:59) - Access is a big deal
(16:42) - Netflix napkin math
(17:12) - The disc warehouse
(19:09) - Qwikster debacle!
(21:49) - Sponsor: Neo4j
(22:55) - What about Redbox?
(23:59) - Death of Blockbuster
(24:59) - Blockbuster life (Elmo's!)
(29:29) - What happens to Redbox?
(30:10) - Hardware + content
(31:17) - Not Plex friendly
(33:02) - Kaleidescape
(35:51) - "Look who you're suing!"
(37:18) - DRM: never be worth it
(42:04) - Adam's HT setup
(48:13) - Sponsor: Sentry
(52:12) - Digital too?
(53:28) - Apple TV app
(54:54) - Things to worry about
(1:00:29) - The beginning of the end
(1:02:30) - Digital archives
(1:03:55) - Do we care less?
(1:05:34) - Not against evolution
(1:07:45) - Films are part of who we are
(1:09:10) - Adam's last discs
(1:10:47) - Thanks for joining us!
(1:11:40) - Coming up next