This week we’re joined by Daniel Thompson, Co-founder and Core Member of Tauri. It’s been a year since we last had Daniel on the show. He catches us up on all things Tauri, their continued efforts towards Tauri 1.5 (which just released), the launch of CrabNebula and how they’re the people pushing the Tauri ecosystem forward and building on top of it, the state of Electron vs Tauri, and UI with Tauri. He even surprises us with his idea of creating a web browser.
Changelog++ members save 4 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Sentry – Get $100 towards your error monitoring with Sentry! Use the code
- .Tech Domains – They’re giving selected startups guest spots on the biggest podcasts, conferences, and billboards in the tech game. Apply at startups.tech/changelog
- Neo4j – NODES 2023 is coming in October!
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Daniel Thompson – GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog
(01:10) - Sponsor: Sentry
(02:21) - Start the show!
(04:39) - What is Tauri?
(09:09) - Tauri + Rust
(13:21) - CrabNebula and next steps
(24:20) - The org model of Tauri
(27:34) - Sponsor: .Tech Domains
(29:08) - Big picture of CrabNebula
(32:47) - App distribution for Tauri
(35:50) - You want to build a browser?
(36:36) - The burden of maintenence?
(42:45) - What does a web broswer need?
(43:23) - Servo-window options for Tauri
(46:08) - Sponsor: Neo4j
(47:09) - Why build a browser?
(53:02) - Tauri vs Electron
(1:00:33) - Tauri and UI
(1:07:15) - What's left?
(1:09:07) - Wrapping up
(1:09:38) - Up next