This week it’s storytime with Steve Yegge! Steve came out of retirement to join Sourcegraph as Head of Engineering. Their next frontier is Cody, their AI coding assistant that answers code questions and writes code for you by reading your entire codebase and the code graph. But, we really spent a lot of time talking with Steve about his time at Amazon, Google, and Grab. Ok, it’s storytime!
Changelog++ members get a bonus 9 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- Sentry – Code-level APM built for developers! Stay ahead of latency issues and trace every slow transaction to a poor-performing API call or database query. Sentry is the only developer-first application monitoring platform that shows you what’s slow, down to the line of code. Use the code
CHANGELOGMEDIAand get the team plan FREE for six (6) months.
- Drata – Put security and compliance on autopilot. Build trust with your customers and scale securely with Drata, the smartest way to achieve continuous framework compliance for SOC 2, ISO 27001, HIPAA, GDPR, and more.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Steve Yegge – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Steve Yegge’s Google Platforms Rant
- Steve Yegge joins as Head of Engineering (or, “Why I left retirement to join Sourcegraph”)
- All You Need Is Cody
- Cody is Cheating
- A good day with Jeff
- Steve Yegge on Wikipedia
- Why I left Google to join Grab
- Cody AI
- Yin and Yang on Wikipedia
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog
(00:59) - Sponsor: Sentry
(04:44) - Start the show!
(07:49) - Did Jeff have the vision of AWS?
(10:14) - SOAP was cool?
(16:30) - Scope: A story I've never told
(22:58) - Yin and Yang
(24:14) - Jeff freezes people
(28:23) - Sponsor: Drata
(30:06) - Thinking on your feet
(31:05) - Be like water? (no)
(31:42) - Steve is 'the closer'
(35:38) - Book causes eviction!!
(42:54) - Sociopathic leaders
(47:18) - Since you've been gone (from Google)
(52:16) - Where is Google going?
(58:57) - Will Apple call it AI?
(1:00:10) - Did you Google that?
(1:02:57) - Here's how Google wins
(1:05:48) - Bake in 'opt-in relevance'
(1:06:38) - From retirement to Sourcegraph
(1:09:27) - Humans need struggle
(1:11:19) - Why Sourcegraph?
(1:15:00) - Where is Cody going?
(1:23:45) - Steve made Jeff Bezos giggle
(1:25:44) - Grab was fun
(1:27:54) - Cody is cheating
(1:32:34) - How to be inevitable
(1:35:36) - A second prescription
(1:41:00) - Up next!