This week we’re joined by Adam Jacob and we’re talking about his mission at System Initiative to rebuild DevOps. They are out of stealth mode and ready to show off their transformative new power tool that reimagines what’s possible from DevOps. It’s an intelligent automation platform that allows DevOps teams to build detailed interactive simulations of their infrastructure and use them to rapidly update their production environments.
Changelog++ members save 6 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- DevCycle – Build better software with DevCycle. Feature flags, without the tech debt. DevCycle is a Feature Flag Management platform designed to help you build maintainable code at scale.
- Drata – Put security and compliance on autopilot. Build trust with your customers and scale securely with Drata, the smartest way to achieve continuous framework compliance for SOC 2, ISO 27001, HIPAA, GDPR, and more.
- Changelog News – A podcast+newsletter combo that’s brief, entertaining & always on-point. Subscribe today.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Adam Jacob – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- System Initiative
- System Initiative launch demo
- What if Infrastructure as Code never existed, by Adam Jacob
- 10+ deploys per day at Flickr
- Changelog Interviews #353: The war for the soul of open source
- Changelog Interviews #460: The business model of open source
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog!
(00:55) - Sponsor: DevCycle
(03:51) - Start the show!
(08:46) - Why deploy once per week?
(14:58) - Where do you start?
(19:34) - Making a digital twin
(23:35) - Sounds like Lisp
(28:21) - Sponsor: Drata
(30:04) - Let's get visual
(34:35) - The opposite of what we have
(36:19) - Click! Make it true.
(42:55) - What does this replace?
(45:33) - Is this the death of GitOps?
(49:44) - What are you doing differently?
(53:06) - The Red Hat model
(59:18) - You gotta call it something else
(1:01:28) - The product is not free
(1:03:42) - Does the license matter?
(1:06:01) - Sponsor: Changelog News
(1:07:32) - Dev environment in the cloud?
(1:08:44) - Contraining to infrastructure code
(1:10:28) - How does it work today?
(1:12:48) - Bring your own Cloud SaaS
(1:15:59) - Closing the loop
(1:17:17) - Was Stealth Mode a good idea?
(1:19:39) - Major pivots?
(1:22:55) - Very optimistic but meh.
(1:24:32) - No more papercuts
(1:25:29) - Outro