Homebrew project leader Mike McQuaid joins us to weigh in on Apple’s big Vision Pro announcement. We also hit on our favorite (and least favorite) non-AR things from the WWDC 2023 keynote.
Changelog++ members save 1 minute on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Changelog++ – You love our content and you want to take it to the next level by showing your support. We’ll take you closer to the metal with extended episodes, make the ads disappear, and increment your audio quality with higher bitrate mp3s. Let’s do this!
- Mike McQuaid – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Apple’s official Vision Pro page
- Sarah Dietschy: I Tried the Apple Vision Pro 👀
- The Verge: Apple Vision Pro first look
- Valve Index
- WWDC Highlights
- Apple sure kicked Meta’s butt today, right?
- CmdrTaco on the iPod
- Day One
- Aaron Levie’s tweet
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:45) - Homebrew & Friends
(01:09) - What will Apple break this time?
(01:58) - What tends to break?
(02:59) - From /usr/local to /opt
(05:40) - The only downside of /opt
(06:17) - Why not ~/.homebrew?
(07:38) - SHOW US THE VR THING
(10:33) - More like blending realities
(12:00) - Not in the metaverse
(13:27) - The guy who's ready to escape
(14:29) - Apple Watch launch vibes
(16:46) - The new dad camcorder
(19:25) - Not there yet
(22:17) - Conjuring the code!
(22:44) - Again on the weight
(24:41) - Ready P1
(27:06) - Soooo many sensors
(29:51) - There's no controllers
(31:43) - 11 launch games?
(33:22) - Game devs yay or nay
(36:33) - Training simulators
(38:31) - A certain type of game
(40:08) - Sponsor: Changelog++
(41:04) - Vision Pros in public
(43:59) - CmdrTaco on the iPod
(44:30) - Who wants to wear a headset?
(46:04) - FaceTime is more metaverse
(46:34) - Apple relentlessly iterates
(47:47) - A strong base
(48:52) - Never buy the 1st gen
(50:33) - "They're not a phone company"
(51:07) - Apple's new playbook
(52:12) - Kickin' Meta's butt, right?
(53:39) - Starting with the Pro
(54:37) - People with glasses
(55:33) - Where Adam would use
(57:37) - Where Mike would use
(59:45) - Where Jerod would use
(1:00:54) - Big In small spaces
(1:02:30) - The biggest of big
(1:03:46) - Other announcements happened
(1:04:38) - iCloud keychain sharing
(1:06:57) - iOS needs a Password.app
(1:07:39) - Passkeys
(1:09:02) - FindMy Apple TV remote!
(1:10:53) - Apple Silicon transition complete
(1:11:23) - Death of Intel chips
(1:12:30) - MK Ultra
(1:13:10) - PCIe expansion
(1:13:54) - Mike on Siri
(1:14:39) - Jerod's Siri prediction fail
(1:17:19) - Jerod on Journal.app
(1:18:06) - Adam on iPadOS 17
(1:19:36) - Day One is Automattic
(1:20:28) - Goodbyes
(1:21:37) - Coming up next
(1:22:34) - Crying about M2