This week we’re talking about Passkeys with Anna Pobletts, Head of Passwordless, at 1Password. Will Passkeys enable a passwordless future? Time will tell. Anna shares the what, the why, how, and the when on Passkeys.
Changelog++ members save 9 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Square – Develop on the platform that sellers trust. There is a massive opportunity for developers to support Square sellers by building apps for today’s business needs. Learn more at developer.squareup.com to dive into the docs, APIs, SDKs and to create your Square Developer account — tell them Changelog sent you.
- Drata – Put security and compliance on autopilot. Build trust with your customers and scale securely with Drata, the smartest way to achieve continuous framework compliance for SOC 2, ISO 27001, HIPAA, GDPR, and more.
- Raycast – Raycast is a blazingly fast, totally extendable launcher. It lets you complete tasks, calculate, share common links, and much more. Turn Pro to harness the power of AI, make Raycast your own with custom themes, keep your Macs in sync and more on the way.
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Anna Pobletts – LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Passkeys: the future of authentication in 1Password
- Passage by 1Password
- Passkeys Overview (Apple Developer)
- Supporting Passkeys (Apple Developer)
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog
(00:55) - Sponsor: Square
(03:54) - Start the show!
(04:56) - What is a Passkey?
(10:27) - Security win. Yes. UX win? Kinda.
(12:16) - Rhymes with SSH Keys
(12:59) - Three ways to authenticate
(17:49) - Recovery seems like an after-thought
(21:32) - How do get to a Passkey world?
(23:54) - Sponsor: Drata
(25:34) - 1Password now offering dev services
(31:50) - Don't Make Me Think™
(33:15) - Home Depot!!
(40:08) - Passage and Passkeys
(44:19) - Home Depot Passkey example
(47:21) - Sponsor: Raycast
(51:15) - Passkeys to prevent spammers
(54:18) - Back to Home Depot
(57:07) - Apple and sharing Passkeys
(59:55) - Revocation process?
(1:00:40) - What are the cons?
(1:03:02) - First steps for Passage?
(1:05:13) - Verifiable Crendentials
(1:06:46) - Passkey resources
(1:07:24) - Closing out the show
(1:08:19) - Up next!