Todd Gamblin, a computer scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, joined us to talk about Moore’s Law, his work at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, the components of a micro-chip, and High Performance Computing.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Rollbar – Our error monitoring partner. Rollbar provides real-time error monitoring, alerting, and analytics to help us resolve production errors in minutes. To start deploying with confidence - head to rollbar.com/changelog
- DigitalOcean – DigitalOcean has new, highly competitive droplet pricing! A flexible $15 plan where you can mix and match RAM and CPUs resources. Updates to CPU-optimized Droplets. Per-second billing (coming soon). New accounts get $100 in hosting credit to use in your first 60 days.
- Google Cloud Platform Podcast – Google Cloud Platform Podcast is where Google developer advocates Melanie Warrick and Mark Mandel answer questions, get in the weeds and talk to GCP teams, customers, and partners about best practices—from security to machine learning and more. Hear from technologists all across Google about trends and cool things happening with our technology.
- GoCD – GoCD is an on-premise open source continuous delivery server created by ThoughtWorks that lets you automate and streamline your build-test-release cycle for reliable, continuous delivery of your product.
- Todd Gamblin – Twitter, GitHub
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- The Changelog #267: Functional Programming with Eric Normand
- If you’re a fan of Request For Commits, you can hear Todd on episode #13
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - High Performance Computing
- Dennard scaling
- Brain Chip - a brain-inspired computer by IBM
- What is NIF (National Ignition Facility)?
- Spack - flexible package manager that supports multiple versions, configurations, platforms, and compilers
- Slurm Workload Manager
- Lustre file system - open-source, parallel file system for HPC simulation environments
- Enterprise Linux