The commercial VPN industry is a minefield to navigate and many open source solutions are a pain to use or ill-suited for the task. Algo VPN, on the other hand, is a self-hosted personal VPN designed for ease of deployment and security. It uses the securest industry standards, builds on rock-solid solutions like WireGuard and Ansible, and runs on an ever-growing list of cloud hosting providers.
On this episode Dan Guido –CEO of security firm Trail of Bits and Algo’s creator– joins Jerod to discuss the project in depth.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- DigitalOcean – DigitalOcean’s developer cloud makes it simple to launch in the cloud and scale up as you grow. They have an intuitive control panel, predictable pricing, team accounts, worldwide availability with a 99.99% uptime SLA, and 24/7/365 world-class support to back that up. Get your $100 credit at do.co/changelog.
- Algolia – Our search partner. Algolia’s full suite search APIs enable teams to develop unique search and discovery experiences across all platforms and devices. We’re using Algolia to power our site search here at Changelog.com. Get started for free and learn more at algolia.com.
- Brain Science – For the curious! Brain Science is our new podcast exploring the inner-workings of the human brain to understand behavior change, habit formation, mental health, and being human. It’s Brain Science applied — not just how does the brain work, but how do we apply what we know about the brain to transform our lives.
Notes and Links
- About Trail of Bits
- Meet Algo, the VPN that works
- Algo on GitHub
- Most VPN Services are Terrible
- An Analysis of the Privacy and Security Risks of Android VPN Permission-enabled Apps (PDF)
- 101 VPN products run by just 23 companies
- Every “free” VPN
- No one is going to risk jail for your $5/mo
- A story of the entire VPN industry, in 4 acts. Starring NordVPN.
- WireCutter’s review of the best VPN service for 2019
- Getting 2FA Right in 2019