Mat Ryer is back and he’s brought with him 10 tips to be a 10x developer (like he is). After that, we try a new segment we’re calling “Tool Time” (and try out a few jingles for it along the way). Finally, it’s time to review our previous unpopular opinions and put some new ones into the world for your (dis)agreeing pleasure. Join us for an automagical time!
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Mat Ryer – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- How ‘Back to the Future 2’ Tricked You Into Thinking Crispin Glover Returned
- Mat on The Changelog #526
- The Synergistic Interplay between Vitamins D and K for Bone and Cardiovascular Health
- Introducing Wood Milk: Aubrey Plaza’s Newest Product #drinkwoodmilk - YouTube
- credo for Elixir
- Queen Latifah - U.N.I.T.Y. - YouTube
- NextDNS wiki on UnifiOS
- I Made a Tiny Touch ID Button for Mac!
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:38) - Mat Ryer is back
(00:44) - B2TF Musical?
(01:40) - B2TF controversy
(05:17) - We own Mat
(06:23) - Mat Depends
(08:07) - 10x devs do exist
(09:16) - Mat's cookies
(12:10) - Here for the tips
(12:18) - #10: coffee
(13:25) - Just stay 'til #6
(14:03) - #9: standing desk
(14:37) - Stacking multiplier
(15:18) - #8: make mistakes
(16:41) - #7: new keyboard
(17:38) - #6: write tests first
(18:44) - What is 10x about?
(20:11) - "10 Eggs" by Mat Ryer
(21:23) - Did you hear about wood milk?
(23:00) - Mat drinks oat milk
(23:37) - #5: pen and paper
(24:50) - "Dear Diary" by Mat Ryer
(25:38) - Better compilers
(26:59) - #4: water
(29:12) - #3: KISS
(31:10) - Adam's idea [page|bucket|box]
(32:48) - The best idea
(33:57) - Another idea
(35:07) - In the works idea
(36:09) - An almost good idea
(37:16) - Least recommended
(38:15) - An idea we're doing
(39:26) - #2: love yourself
(41:16) - #1: Vitamin D
(44:38) - A new segment!
(45:15) - Mat's Tool Time
(46:12) - What goes into a linter
(48:30) - How do you lint?
(50:02) - Elixir linter
(51:06) - Flat Earth!?
(55:13) - Adam's Tool Time?
(55:27) - "Tool Time Jingle #1" by Mat Ryer
(56:06) - Adam's Tool Time
(58:25) - The future of 1Password
(1:00:12) - "Tool Time Jingle #2" by Mat Ryer
(1:00:39) - Renaming 1Password
(1:02:24) - Jerod's Tool Time
(1:06:27) - Queen Latifah
(1:08:44) - Why Jerod needed ntfy.sh
(1:12:08) - Configuring DNS
(1:14:04) - Good DevEx
(1:15:54) - What is good DX?
(1:17:34) - Improve NextDNS
(1:20:51) - Unpopular Opinions!
(1:21:08) - Reviewing Adam's unpop
(1:22:43) - Reviewing Mat's unpop
(1:25:27) - Reviewing Jerod's unpop
(1:26:02) - Mat's 1st unpop
(1:27:21) - Mat's 2nd unpop
(1:30:34) - QUIZ TIME
(1:31:54) - Adam's unpop
(1:35:23) - Jerod's unpop
(1:37:29) - End with a song?
(1:38:04) - "Automagical" by Mat Ryer
(1:39:09) - Coming up next