This week we’re talking about LLMs with Simon Willison. We can not avoid this topic. Last time it was Stable Diffusion breaking the internet. This time it’s LLMs breaking the internet. Large Language Models, ChatGPT, Bard, Claude, Bing, GitHub Copilot X, Cody…we cover it all.
Changelog++ members get a bonus 18 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- DevCycle – Build better software with DevCycle. Feature flags, without the tech debt. DevCycle is a Feature Flag Management platform designed to help you build maintainable code at scale.
- Postman – Build APIs together — More than 20 million developers use Postman for building and using APIs. Postman simplifies each step of the API lifecycle and streamlines collaboration so you can create better APIs—faster.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Simon Willison – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- AI-enhanced development makes me more ambitious with my projects
- Cerebras-GPT: A Family of Open, Compute-efficient, Large Language Models
- I lost everything that made me love my job through Midjourney over night.
- ChatGPT plugins
- Houston AI
- Unreal Engine 5.2 - Next-Gen Graphics Tech Demo (State of Unreal 2023)
- Apple’s secret M1 coprocessor
For our Changelog++ subs…
For the fiscal year 2021, Alphabet (Google’s parent company) reported revenues of $182.5 billion, and the revenue breakdown was as follows:
- Advertising: $147.5 billion
- Google Cloud: $14.9 billion
- Google Play and other sources: $25.1 billion
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog
(01:38) - Sponsor: DevCycle
(04:14) - Start the show!
(11:18) - What is it that you do Simon?
(15:01) - ChatGPT plugins speculation
(19:43) - All-in on AI
(34:37) - Sponsor: Postman
(38:15) - LLM silos via plugins
(44:20) - Where should someone start with this?
(59:40) - What about GitHub Copilot X, Cody, et al
(1:05:23) - Can this do personality injection?
(1:14:46) - Google's fate?
(1:16:17) - ChatGPT has 100M users? Or...?
(1:24:27) - How large can LLMs get?
(1:27:52) - Apple's secret co-processor
(1:30:27) - Apple's answer to AI?
(1:39:37) - Final words? More predictions?
(1:40:56) - Outro