This week we’re talking about by Postgres with Craig Kerstiens, Chief Product Officer at Crunchy Data, and a well known ambassador for Postgres. Just Postgres.That’s what this week’s show is about.
Changelog++ members save 2 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Sentry – Working code means happy customers. That’s exactly why teams choose Sentry. From error tracking to performance monitoring, Sentry helps teams see what actually matters, resolve problems quicker, and learn continuously about their applications - from the frontend to the backend. Use the code
CHANGELOGand get the team plan free for three months.
- Postman – Build APIs together — More than 20 million developers use Postman for building and using APIs. Postman simplifies each step of the API lifecycle and streamlines collaboration so you can create better APIs—faster.
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Craig Kerstiens – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- The Art of PostgreSQL
- Crunchy Data
- Postgres Playground
- The Changelog #510: Taking Postgres serverless with Nikita Shamgunov from Neon
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog
(00:53) - Sponsor: Sentry
(01:32) - Start the show!
(04:28) - Why did you choose Postgres?
(05:21) - Heroku's impact on Postgres
(10:14) - Are you involved in the core team?
(20:35) - Postgres-compatible IS NOT Postgres
(23:06) - Sponsor: Postman
(24:21) - There's many ways to extend Postgres
(33:02) - Business opportunities?
(36:24) - How does Postgres accept patches?
(43:21) - What new for Postgres?
(48:25) - Postgres: The bad parts
(49:19) - Postgres: The good parts?
(53:16) - Postgres Serverless native support?
(56:27) - Serverless presents a business challenge
(1:00:38) - The "free tier" is changing
(1:03:04) - Postgres in the browser
(1:04:20) - Powered by Notion
(1:06:22) - What's left? What's next?
(1:09:05) - Backstage on BBQ?
(1:09:40) - Closing out the show
(1:10:07) - Outro