Gergely Orosz joined Adam for a conversation about his journey as a software engineer. Gergely recently stepped down from his role as Engineering Manager at Uber to pursue his next big thing. But, that next big thing isn’t quite clear to him yet. So, in the meantime, he has been using this break to write a few books and blog more so he can share what he’s learned along the way. He’s also validating some startup ideas he has on platform engineering. His first book is available to read now — it’s called The Tech Resume Inside Out and offers a practical guide to writing a tech resume written by the people who do the resume screening. Both topics gave us quite a bit to talk about.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Retool – Retool makes it super simple to build back-office apps in hours, not days. The tool is is built by engineers, explicitly for engineers. Learn more and try it for free at retool.com/changelog
- DigitalOcean – Get apps to market faster. Build, deploy, and scale apps quickly using a simple, fully managed solution. DigitalOcean handles the infrastructure, app runtimes and dependencies, so that you can push code to production in just a few clicks. Try it free with $100 credit at do.co/changelog.
- New Relic – Observability made simple. New Relic One is an observability platform built to help engineers create more perfect software. Get one (1) user and 100GB per month, totally free. Forever.
- Equinix – Equinix Metal is built from the ground up to empower developers with low-latency, high performance infrastructure anywhere. Get $500 in free credit to play with plus a rad t-shirt at info.equinixmetal.com/changelog
- Gergely Orosz – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
Notes and Links
- Gergely’s tweet about the pod we did with Spotify about Backstage
- Gergely’s blog
- Book #1: The Tech Resume Inside Out
- Book #2: The Software Engineer’s Guidebook
- My Unforgettable Uber Ride
- Gergely’s Indie Hackers post: 14 days, $14K in sales, 1,000 customers and what worked for me
- Things I’ve learned transitioning from engineer to engineering manager
- The Changelog #415: Spotify’s open platform for shipping at scale
with Jim Haughwout and Stefan Ålund
- Spotify’s open platform for building developer portals