Nadia Eghbal joined the show to discuss a HUGE topic that’s near and dear to our heart – funding open source! We discussed what it takes to fund open source software development, Nadia’s current investigative journalism efforts around funding open source (funded by the Ford Foundation), venture-backed open source projects, what it means for an open source project to be in good shape, some potential solutions to provide better long-term support for open source, and we tried to determine how much the open source of the world might be worth.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- Toptal – Join the best or hire the best engineers and designers! Email Adam (email@example.com) to get a personal introduction to get started with Toptal.
- Linode – Our cloud server of choice! We host everything we do on Linode servers. Use the code
changelog20to get 2 months free!
- Opbeat for Node.js – Build faster Node.js apps. Instantly pinpoint performance issues, and optimize your code. Install in minutes.
- Nadia Eghbal – Twitter, GitHub
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Nadia Eghbal - Homepage
- Nadia Eghbal (@nayafia) on Twitter
- Nadia Eghbal on Medium
- Subscribe to Building Better Software Updates
- How I Stumbled Upon The Internet’s Biggest Blind Spot — Medium
- Open source was worth at least $143M of Instagram’s $1B acquisition — Medium
- Open source infrastructure: the Q&A — Medium
- What if Facebook were a nonprofit?
- GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
- 500 Startups
- Slack Raises $80 Million Fund to Support Platform Strategy - Digits - WSJ
- Ruby Together
- Ford Foundation
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!