Wynn sat down with Corey Donohoe from GitHub and Seth Chisamore from Opscode to talk about DevOps, Chef, agile infrastructure and innovation in the datacenter.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
Notes and Links
- Corey Donahoe aka @atmos, DevOps dude at GitHub
- Seth Chisamore aka @schisamo, evangelist at Opscode, makers of Chef
- Chef, an open source systems integration framework built to bring the benefits of configuration management to your entire infrastructure.
DevOps is defined as a set of processes, methods and systems for communication, collaboration and integration between departments for Development (Applications/Software Engineering), Technology Operations and Quality Assurance (QA)
- Puppet, an open source data center automation and configuration management framework.
- Cfengine, continuous datacenter automation and repair
- Knife, the Chef command line interface
- Chef Hosted platform is an instant hosted, highly scalabe Chef Server
- Chef solo lets you run Chef without a Chef server
- Chef was architected to be multi-tenant
- The Opscode Team members have impressive resumes.
- Chef includes impressive role-based authorities
- Cookbooks are like Rubygems for Chef
- Cinderella née Cider = apple + homebrew + chef + rvm
- Homebrew as the most forked project is GitHub’s stress test. Be sure to catch Max on Episode 0.3.5
- Wynn makes the case that the Swedish Chef be the face of the DevOps movement
- Silverline from Librato does complex systems management and monitoring
- EY or EngineYard, Corey’s former employer uses VMs in their architecture
- Simon Wardley’s OSCon keynote
- OpenStack is an effort to standardize the cloud
- DevOps version of the account that got Shatner back on TV
- DevOps Borat tweets from the datacenter
- Fog, Wesley Beary’s excellent Ruby abstraction layer for popular cloud providers
- Knife, donated by 37 Signals
- Wynn digs infinity_test to test against multiple versions of Ruby at the same time
- collectd, system statistics collection daemon
- Using Visage to graph collectd stats
- Sign up for the Opscode platform free beta
- Look up Seth as schisamo in #chef and #chef-hacking on IRC