Adam was out when Bryan made his podcast debut here on The Changelog, so we had to get him back on the show along with his co-founder and CEO Steve Tuck to discuss Silicon Valley (the TV show), all things Oxide, homelab possibilities, bringing the power of the cloud on prem, and more.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Bryan Cantrill – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Steve Tuck – Twitter, LinkedIn
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Crate tui
- On the Metal with Jeff Rothschild
- Oxide specs
- The Changelog #496: Oxide builds servers (as they should be)
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:38) - Is this Oxide & Friends?
(01:12) - Last time we talked...
(02:39) - Silicon Valley
(11:12) - Oxide sold a box
(13:54) - Awesome design
(16:55) - Oxide's heist team
(17:39) - Is this your rack?
(18:20) - Homelab Oxide edition
(19:33) - Oxide's enthusiast audience
(23:34) - Would you consider "The Homecloud"
(24:29) - Throw us a bone
(25:58) - Give me a simplified Oxide rack
(28:02) - Know what you're saying no to
(29:53) - Far into the future
(31:03) - The 2050 roadmap
(38:59) - What's wrong with the switch?
(41:15) - How different is an Oxide rack?
(43:34) - Powered and provisioned same day
(47:43) - Take the Homelab out of the DC
(49:38) - The first boot
(51:59) - Customer demos
(54:53) - Back to the bootup
(59:36) - How did you know?
(1:13:11) - On-site with a customer
(1:13:50) - On prem vs cloud
(1:18:50) - Where's the secret?
(1:22:12) - We all pod? Nah...
(1:35:21) - Bye friends!
(1:36:20) - Wrapping up