Our friend Justin Searls recently published a widely-read essay on enthusiast programmers, inter-generational conflict & what we do with this information. That seemed like a good conversation starter, so we grabbed Justin and Landon Gray to discuss. Let’s talk!
Changelog++ members get a bonus 7 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Justin Searls – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Landon Gray – LinkedIn
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Justin’s post
- Justin’s monthly newsletter
- Justin’s Ruby Kaigi coverage
- Justin’s previous Changelog appearances
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Let's talk!
(00:38) - Old friends & new friends
(01:03) - 4+ people podcasts
(01:42) - Conferencing on hard mode
(02:37) - Justin the Rubyist
(04:45) - Justin & Friends
(05:21) - Era of the enthusiast programmers
(11:36) - Landon's introduction
(13:39) - Thoughts on the post
(16:25) - Experiment with the world
(19:32) - Inter-generational conflict
(26:47) - Jerod's passion
(28:10) - Defining generations
(30:30) - Evolved marketing
(32:21) - Landon's coding journey
(36:19) - Justin's intro to programming
(37:52) - Napster
(39:51) - 10x dev
(41:26) - Landon on passion
(44:47) - Atypical traits
(46:48) - #LearnToCode
(48:55) - Friendly dev tools
(50:12) - It's a numbers game
(53:03) - Landon on persistence
(57:37) - Obligatory shift to AI
(1:02:40) - Stopping at 'make it work'
(1:03:16) - AI as training wheels
(1:07:07) - More grit
(1:09:14) - This house of cards
(1:14:47) - Taking the wheels off
(1:15:30) - High stakes
(1:18:14) - How do we land this plane
(1:19:07) - We're going to figure it out!
(1:20:23) - Landon'ing the plane
(1:20:46) - Coming up next (Changelog++!)