This week we’re talking with Jonathan Carter who’s on his fourth term as Debian Project Lead (DPL) and we’re talking about 30 years of Debian!
Changelog++ members get a bonus 12 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- Sentry – Watch Lazar Nikolov livestream on YouTube at youtube.com/@nikolovlazar. Use the code
CHANGELOGMEDIAand get the team plan FREE for six (6) months.
- Tailscale – Simple, secure networks for teams of any scale. Built on WireGuard.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Jonathan Carter – Mastodon, LinkedIn, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- A Brief History of Debian
- Debian Free Software Guidelines
- The Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)
- DPL Platform (2022)
- Debian project leaders
- About Debian
- Software in the Public Interest (SPI)
- Changelog Interviews #237: Reproducible builds and secure software
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog
(01:24) - Sponsor: Sentry
(04:57) - Start the show!
(06:17) - Debian Project Lead (DPL)
(10:03) - From Ubuntu to Debian
(15:09) - How does Debian work?
(17:59) - On-ramping marginalized contribs
(19:51) - Formulization of Debian
(23:04) - Stability of Ttrusted Organizations (TOs)
(27:55) - Who is "Bookworm"?
(31:54) - Sponsor: Tailscale
(35:30) - Free as in freedom (and beer)
(41:20) - What is a Linux distribution?
(45:30) - We need OS choice on mobile
(50:14) - Proxmox builds on Debian
(55:11) - Linux on Apple hardware
(58:59) - Feels on Ubuntu
(1:01:57) - Feels on Arch
(1:03:30) - The state of the enterprise Linux standard
(1:06:18) - Why not Debian?
(1:15:29) - What it takes to run for DPL?
(1:17:44) - Jonathan's day job
(1:21:07) - The human history of Debian
(1:27:13) - Consider Hackclub's model
(1:28:38) - Wrapping up
(1:29:09) - Outro