Safia, Nick, Jerod, and Chris get together to talk about documentation. Documentation is essential in our work but it can be difficult to get buy-in. The crew talks about how you can get others to care about it in your organization, tools that make documentation easier, and some examples of companies doing it right.
- Gauge – Low maintenance test automation! Gauge is free and open source test automation framework that takes the pain out of acceptance testing.
- Rollbar – We catch our errors before our users do because of Rollbar. Resolve errors in minutes, and deploy your code with confidence. Learn more at rollbar.com/changelog.
- .TECH domains – There’s a new top level domain to consider when purchasing your next domain for your next big idea. Get your .tech for 90% off when you use code
- DigitalOcean – DigitalOcean is simplicity at scale. Whether your business is running one virtual machine or ten thousand, DigitalOcean gets out of your way so your team can build, deploy, and scale faster and more efficiently. New accounts get $100 in credit to use in your first 60 days.
- Safia Abdalla – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Nick Nisi – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
- Christopher Hiller – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
- @kahliltweets on Twitter
- Safia loves the React Styleguidist
- Read about Literate Programming on Wikipedia
- Jeremy Ashkenas’ Literate CoffeeScript
- Docco is a tool for literate programming
- Stripe’s API docs are 👌
- So are Twilio’s
- Nick likes Chai’s docs
- Jerod mentions UmbrellaJS, everyone is impressed
- Dash is 💣 for macOS docs
- Maybe Velocity is just as cool for Windows?
- In terms of guides, check out Ruby on Rails and GitHub’s Open Source Guides