Communities come in an enormous variety of shapes and sizes, each with its own set of values and way of operating. In general, a community should be an inclusive space where everyone involved feels a sense of belonging and is working together towards common goals. However, building a thriving community is no easy task, and in today's episode, we discuss some of the main challenges that can arise when a group of people joins forces, as well as some of the ways by which these challenges can be overcome. We also throw in some good Netflix recommendations! Shoutout to the Vue community which, of course, is near and dear to all our hearts!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Everyone shares the qualities that they believe make up a thriving community.
- Communities that we have been a part of, and the roles that we have played in building them.
- The challenges that come with forming a community.
- The benefits of having a very clear code of conduct.
- Code of conduct styles that we think will contribute to the creation of unhealthy communities.
- Advice for people who are in a position where they need to enforce a code of conduct.
- Ari shares her experience of misconduct and the aftermath within the Vue community.
- The importance of openly communicating the values that your community stands for.
- How communities should handle issues that arise.
- An unsettling trend that we’ve noticed taking place recently in the virtual world.
- Appreciation for the Vue community.
- Picks for the week, including K-dramas and weighted eye pillows.
“What I want to feel out of a community is that everyone here belongs, we’re all in this together.” — Oscar [0:02:05]
“Not everyone has the same values and not everyone has the same experiences to understand how their actions will impact somebody else.” — Ari [0:07:52]
“I believe in second chances for people, but people have to want to try.” — Oscar [0:09:13]
“As a community, for sure, you need to be able to very quickly publicly acknowledge if something is going wrong, and decrease whatever issue is happening.” — Alex [0:39:51]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Ruby Mailing List incident recap thread, Brandon Weaver
- Recurse Center Social Rules
- After Years of Abusive E-mails, the Creator of Linux Steps Aside, Noam Cohen (The New Yorker)
- The Sneetches, supposedly by Dr. Seuss